[LINK] U.S. Nuclear Weapons No Longer Need Floppy Disks

David dlochrin at aussiebb.com.au
Sat Oct 26 14:15:25 AEDT 2019

On 26/10/2019 8:40 am, Karl Auer wrote:

>> Justin Oakes, a spokesman for the Eighth Air Force, said in an email. “This replacement effort exponentially increased message storage capacity and operator response times for critical nuclear command and control message receipt and processing.”
>
> It exponentially increased operator response times? How odd.

And the word "exponential" is meaningless in that context, if I might be permitted a little winge about sloppy language use.  A quantity increases or decreases exponentially when its rate of change is proportional to its value, as many Linkers will know, and a meaningful exponential cannot be fitted to only two data points.

Let's hope clearer thinking is applied to managing the nuclear arsenal.

Hurrumph...

David L.