[LINK] Prof. Chris Culnane: health data (mbs/pbs); electronic voting (tls proxy).

reubsnoobs u5644051+mailman.link at anu.edu.au
Wed Oct 30 16:56:31 AEDT 2019

> ... Health and Welfare Data Asset can ... have unintended
> consequences.

This might be old news, but I would very much recommend taking a
look at the work of Chris Culnane of U. Melb. and his colleagues.

https://culnane.org/#dataprivacy

https://dblp.org/pers/hd/c/Culnane:Chris

He fairly recently gave a very interesting talk here, covering
privacy issues arising from cryptographical ignorance on the part
of various government, academic and corporate organizations.

The first part of his talk was on the danger posed to voting in
elections and referendums by the use of TLS proxying services by
Oz and NZ governments, extending so far as to the NZ gov.
receiving referendum results from over-seas entirely unencrypted
(and presumably unverifiable).  They refused to correct the
fallacious statement on their web-site pretending all data was
encrypted from voter to electoral office.  You might want to take
a look at his article ``Trust Implications of DDoS Protection in
Online Elections.''

https://arxiv.org/abs/1708.00991

The latter half related how confusion of hashing with encryption
has caused a number of organizations to release (illegally)
personal data w/o consent, being under the false impression that
it is `anonymized.'  You might like to have a read of some of his
articles written with Ben Rubinstein.

If you get the chance to see him talk, I'd very strongly
encourage you to go.  I've no idea if he gives seminars often or
where.  Maybe you could ask him.