[LINK] "Group Assessment"

Stephen Loosley stephenloosley at outlook.com
Sun Sep 1 17:24:47 AEST 2019

Tom writes,

>> We’re in trouble if this is accurate ...
>
> Not where I teach: there are enough staff so we know what individual
> students in teams are doing. That is assisted by requiring students to
> use on-line repositories, which log what each student contributes to
> their project, and when they contributed it.. It is easier to do this for
> computer project students, as learning team work, project management,
> and the use of methods and tools is part of their training.

Good, that’s great .. it sounds like your courses are surely well resourced
and very effective in terms of multi-lingual student groupings. Thank you,
Tom. But, because the writer of the original opinion piece was apparently
writing from a personal higher-education enrolment experience,  one also
predicts that a current and significant growth in overseas-student tertiary
enrolments, coupled with a static funding, will indeed act to create MANY
such problems that the writer alludes to. And it may indeed become a real
Australian problem, going forward? How to effectively teach multicultural
classes within a limited budget and in a way that’s fair to everyone? Maybe
your digital initiatives can be one answer. Whatever, it must involve much
more than a current inadequate ANU policy? For eg, only in their first year
they get a third extra-time, and, are allowed to use a language dictionary!
This seems a hopeless, inadequate and pathetic solution to this problem.

Reference: https://policies.anu.edu.au/ppl/document/ANUP_004603  (Quote)

29. Assessment arrangements for students from language backgrounds other than English

Students who:

~ have been educated in a country where English is not the first language and who speak a language other than English at home; or
~ were born outside Australia; arrived in Australia up to ten years prior to the date of application; and speak a language other than English at home; or
~ who were born in Australia but who have lived permanently in a country where English is not the first language and who speak a language other than
    English at home;

And,

~ are in their first 12 months of enrolment, either full-time or part-time; and
~ can demonstrate a mix of both linguistic and cultural factors, which disadvantage them in timed assessment tasks such as exams or tests conducted in
   English; and
~ have evidence that they are undertaking formal English language training courses or are engaged in activities that can be expected would improve
   English language skills;

can apply for concessions in courses that the Associate Dean (Education) determines as eligible on the basis of the teaching model, activities and assessment tasks involved.

Applicants who are deemed eligible are given an appropriate level of support and case-by-case arrangements are made according to the following formula:

~ in the first year of enrolment, a standard upper limit of one-third extra time set by the Course Convenor for the assessment in one or more of the courses undertaken by the student in the semester. This time may be used for writing and/or reading in written examinations, other written assessment tasks, oral examinations, certain task-oriented assessment tasks or online examination or assessment tasks. However for non-examination assessment tasks, this extra time does not exceed the date specified in the course outline for the return of the assessment item; and

~ beyond the transitional year, there are no allowances.

~ Where the Course Convenor determines that access to a suitable language dictionary during an assessment is appropriate, that dictionary is available as a supplementary aid. The type of dictionary is determined by the Course Convenor.

~ In making a decision, the Course Convenor must address a student's disadvantage while maintaining standards for learning outcomes and consistency in eligibility, application and action.

Cheers,
Stephen