[LINK] 50 years of Teleworking Fantasies to COVID-19 Reality

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Fri Apr 10 10:01:51 AEST 2020

On 10/4/20 8:01 am, Tom Worthington wrote:
> In my 1993 future history of Canberra *this year* it becomes the world
> capital, due to superior computing facilities: "Canberra 2020: World
> Information Capital", Informatics Magazine, September 1993:
> http://www.tomw.net.au/1993/cnbfut.html

I was a member then Chair of a Ministerial Advisory Committee that did
what it could to keep that dream alive:
http://rogerclarke.com/II/ACS-OLSAG-Rpt-981112.doc

And here's another giggle from the visionary past:

 > The economic arguments in support of a participative information
infrastructure go beyond cost-replacement. The prototype of a
democratic, participative information infrastructure, the Internet,
represents an 'electronic playground'. Students in tertiary institutions
make what some people regard as frivolous use of transmission capacity
to file diatribes about matters of ephemeral significance to small
groups of highly dispersed aficionados, to participate in multi-user
games, to conduct opportunistic, poorly conceived and poorly managed
searches, and to experiment with new ideas for services. Yet precisely
these frivolous uses are providing these young people with the means to
pursue ongoing self-education and discovery.

 > 'Distance education' is becoming much more than just a means to
attain geographical equity for far-flung populations; it will become a
way of life for a workforce continually preparing itself for the next
change in market demands. The foundations have been laid for our own
ongoing 'cultural revolution' - a welling-up of new and revised ideas
and artefacts.

 > Exhibit 5: Indicative List of Information Services
 >-   low tail-capacity requirements  [incl.]
 >    -   data transfer for working from home (telecommuting/teleworking)
 >    -   education services incl. remote classroom teaching (text-only)
 >-   moderate tail-capacity requirements [incl.]
 >    -   multi-media mail, including video (i.e. asynchronous messaging)
 >    -   modest-quality video-telephone (i.e. synchronous conversations)
 >    -   video conferencing (including 'virtual meetings')
 >    -   education services, e.g. remote classroom teaching (incl video)

Clarke R. (1994)  'Information Infrastructure for The Networked Nation'
Xamax Consultancy Pty Ltd, November 1994, at
http://www.rogerclarke.com/II/NetNation.html

Shorter version in:

Clarke R. & Worthington T. (1994)  'Vision for a Networked Nation: The
Public Interest in Network Services'  Proc. Conf. Int'l Telecomms Soc.,
Sydney, July 1994,
original lost at https://www.acs.org.au/president/1997/acsnet/acsnet.htm
but fortunately archived at
https://web.archive.org/web/20120625011201/http://www.acs.org.au/president/1997/acsnet/acsnet.htm
and http://rogerclarke.com/II/ACS-VisionForANetworkedNation-1994.html

Tom, the ACS screwed up the publishing framework you established for it
(c. 2000?).  They broke the link between 25 Jun 2012 and 2 Sep 2012.

Roger Clarke                            mailto:Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
T: +61 2 6288 6916   http://www.xamax.com.au  http://www.rogerclarke.com

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law            University of N.S.W.