[LINK] Australia has an updated government style manual

Stephen Loosley stephenloosley at outlook.com
Sun Aug 2 19:00:26 AEST 2020

Tony writes,

>> Beta:  https://www.stylemanual.gov.au/
>>
>> Australia has an updated (Beta) government style manual.
>> First published in 1966 by the Commonwealth Government
>> Printing Office, the Style Manual has long provided guidance
>> and recommendations for, “anyone faced with the task of
>> preparing material for publication”.
>
> ...  The original manual was the work of the great John Pitson
> http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/pitson-john-1596 who I had the
> honour  of working with many years ago when I was the Director
> of the Services Publications Section of the Australian Government
> Publishing Service. The last printed copy of the manual I saw sadly
> made no acknowledgement of John's work. Hopefully there will be
> some in this online version. Tony

Thanks for that, Tony. I have done a somewhat extensive search of this
online version and little mention seems to have been made of previous
editions or contributors. As you’ve suggested this does seem somewhat
an oversight for an important document. As this updated style manual’s
still in beta, they are actively seeking comments regarding each section.

It therefore seems most appropriate to suggest your worthwhile addition.
I for one will do so poste-haste. Maybe others might wish to do so as well?

For those that might not be aware, Tony Barry is the original instigator of
our Link Mailing List, somewhere around twenty five years ago. Also, over
many years, he served, with much intelligence and sensitivity, as our  Link
List Moderator from your Link-central office in the ANU Resources Centre.

From the beginning Link has been an important Aussie online resource for
high-end net-technical etc matters and as the Internet in our country grew,
emerging and blossoming as it did out of the Australian educational sphere.

Please excuse this post Tony, you were never one to blow your own horn 😊

From personal correspondence we have had over the years I am aware that
you are now almost functionally blind and have some difficulty reading Link.

Please just know the Aussie Internet has benefited greatly from your efforts
and those of us aware of your valuable contribution remain deeply thankful.

Sincerely, Tony,
Stephen Loosley