[LINK] FW: Urgent warning for aged care providers of potential ransomware attacks

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Mon Aug 3 09:57:10 AEST 2020

From: Department of Health <donotreply at agedcareupdates.net.au>
Sent: Sunday, 2 August 2020 4:31 PM
> URGENT WARNING OF POTENTIAL RANSOMWARE ATTACKS ON AGED CARE PROVIDERS
> A major aged care provider has recently suffered a ransomware attack
with a partially successful attempt to encrypt and steal confidential
data in order to seek ransom payment. ...

[ The data privacy aspects pale into insignificance in comparison with
the denial of access to critical health care data.

[ Unfortunately, the standards of data security in organisations of all
sizes remains disastrously low.  We've long bleated about governments'
falure to set baselines and enforce them, e.g.:
http://www.rogerclarke.com/EC/SSACS.html#SS
http://www.xamax.com.au/EC/ISInfo.pdf
http://www.rogerclarke.com/EC/PBAR.html#PB

[ But the situation now is no better than it was a decade ago.

[ This morning's news of a successful ransom hit underlines the issues:

Travel giant CWT pays $6.3m ransom to cyber criminals
Jack Stubbs
itNews
Aug 1 2020

... The hackers initially demanded a payment of US$10 million to restore
CWT's files and delete all the stolen data, according to the messages
reviewed by Reuters. ...

[ The claim of 'stolen data' remains murky, and likely a red herring.
It appears that CWT had failed to establish suitable backup and recovery
procuders with a secure and sufficiently up-to-date copy of all relevant
data and software, and hence its operations were severely compromised
once it was locked out of the live versions of its databases. ]