[LINK] COVIDsafe app update requires location on

kheitman at kheitman.com kheitman at kheitman.com
Mon Aug 10 21:38:17 AEST 2020

Hi all,

As one of the users of the Australian Government's COVIDsafe app from
the outset, I've noticed two major updates since first download.

The first was a few weeks ago, when I manually updated the app (there is
no "update" function) - on download it now had more information screens
and apparently continued to renew the latest information state by state.

Last weekend I noticed it was not working - on opening it I was informed
that the app "requires" location to be set on in order to run. I don't
routinely permit location broadcasting, so it's now a matter of letting
Google's location function run amok or the COVIDsafe app won't work at
all.

I hadn't read anything about this change, nor whether Minister Stuart
Robert had reconsidered his position that using Google or Apple location
services was a dangerous betrayal of our national sovereignty.

Have other LINKers observed this new feature?

Regards,

Kim

kheitman at kheitman.com.....................www.kheitman.com