[LINK] It's marvellous what passes for news

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Tue Aug 18 08:20:17 AEST 2020

ASX automates over half its software testing
As it works to bring new features online faster.
Ry Crozier
itNews
Aug 18 2020

The Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) has automated just over half of
the 68,000 test cases needed to ensure software underpinning Australia’s
financial markets remains reliable and functioning as intended.
The ASX is seven years into test case automation, a journey that started
out with Simon Miller - ASX’s test automation manager - and a single
copy of QuickTest Professional (QTP).
“It was just me working on one platform using QTP,” Miller told Micro
Focus’ Realize 2020 ANZ virtual summit.

“Now obviously I was doing the best job I could, but there's only so
much one person can do. There was a lot of low coverage.”

Fast-forward seven years, and there's now a team of 29 people “currently
involved in test automation at the ASX, working across all our domains
and multiple applications,” he said.

In my early years, I actually had to feed the test-data card-set into
the reader, and operate the console to do test-runs.  And that had to be
at night, after the day's production-runs had all finished.

At the London Stock Exchange (LSX), the large test-team working on
TALISMAN developed a small sub-system to run the testing.

My early unautomated work was 1971-75.  TALISMAN was 1977-79.

So 'news' that's 40 years old is worth re-cycling??

(And in 2013, there was a single person at ASX using tools to assist in
application software testing??).

On the positive side, it's nice to see a rare mention of *any* aspect of
quality assurance - even if it's the second-last-gasp / alpha-testing
phase, which is at the late and expensive end of the QA palette.

Roger Clarke                            mailto:Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
T: +61 2 6288 6916   http://www.xamax.com.au  http://www.rogerclarke.com

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law            University of N.S.W.