[LINK] GPON OLT emulation

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 18:18:34 AEST 2020

Dear list,

Can anyone recommend any low-cost GPON OLT for a lab?

I'm surprised most I found by googling cost several thousand greenbacks.
While a ONT is just less than a hundred bucks.

GPON optical transceivers can be had for less than $15 and gigabit ethernet
to fiber media converters for around $30.

So how can a OLT cost three thousand dollars is beyond me....

My goal is to set up two ONTs talking to each other through an intermediary
device THAT fakes being a real OLT and lets me learn about provisioning and
monitor traffic.

I'm surprised nobody seems to have done a "DIY OLT simulator"... "hackaday
style"...

I understand GPON is much more complex than GEPON but still... It'd be
worth it for the GPON vendors to have this kind if low cost device
available to set up gpon deployment training and networking test labs.

Maybe my Google-fu is failing?

I can't seem to find any cheap used 8port OLTs either.

Thoughts? Comments? TIA...
FC