[LINK] It is Time for Parliament to Follow the Rest of Australia Online

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Sun Aug 30 09:38:08 AEST 2020

On 25/8/20 10:48 am, Brendan wrote:

> I think it is not only desirable, but necessary for MPs to be physically
> proximate in order to do their job properly. That job involves more than
> participating in debates in the chamber or voting on legislation.

Yes. I found it interesting having appeared before a few inquiries that
much of the business happens in the breaks, around the coffee and
snacks. Also there is an interesting dynamic at the parliamentary cafe,
with people meeting, and people watching who is meeting who.

That can still take place: I am suggesting a blended and hybrid
parliament, with both online and face to face elements. Also we are
learning how to better do that backroom work online.

--
Tom Worthington, MEd FHEA FACS CP IP3P http://www.tomw.net.au
+61(0)419496150

Honorary Lecturer, Computer Science, Australian National University
https://cecs.anu.edu.au/research/profile/tom-worthington