[LINK] How Long Will Australia Be Livable?

David dlochrin at aussiebb.com.au
Sat Jan 11 10:56:40 AEDT 2020

On 2020-01-11 09:49, Tom Worthington wrote:

> As is done with mining settlements, it may be necessary to have some towns mothballed in the years, or decades, when conditions are unfavorable, and opened when conditions are good.

It won't only be little towns in the back of beyond which nobody has heard of.  Parts of the Sydney CBD will probably have to be abandoned eventually due to sea-level rise, and many coastal towns will be badly affected.  I never cease to be amazed at the casual unconcern of governments and owners of low-lying real estate.

The rise in sea level is currently predicted to be around 1 metre by the end of the century (i.e. in only 80 years), but predictions are very likely to be revised upwards as we learn more about melting of Antarctic glaciers and the world fails to take necessary action to curb emissions.

There's some interesting interactive material available, see for example:
https://www.spatialsource.com.au/latest-news/ngis-highlight-sea-level-rise-risk-sites-across-australia
http://coastalrisk.com.au/

> The Internet can help with this, by providing some of the services in the lean times.

I think it will take a lot more than the Internet!

David L.