[LINK] COVIDfail – the Australian coronavirus tracing app that can’t find anyone

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Wed Jul 15 09:19:39 AEST 2020

On 14/7/20 9:34 am, Karl Auer wrote:

> It cost a lot of money that could have been far better spent on other
> things. ...

The COVIDSafe App only cost a tiny fraction of the billions spent on
COVID-19. The app was oversold, but at least it appears to have done no
direct harm, unlike some other measures.

But an App which works well and does not infringe privacy would be
useful. This might be done in conjunction with Apple and Google. This
could be branded "COVIDSafe 2.0", to save the government the
embarrassment of admitting failure.

> The program is yet another IT debacle ...

What worries me is that Australia has got used to implementing pandemic
measures in a relatively benign environment and on the assumption these
will be short term. Governments need to help the public maintain public
health measures as routine, for years, and possibly under much more
difficult conditions.

Consider controlling the pandemic at the same time there are widespread
bush-fires, floods, or cyclones, or if the ADF is committed overseas in
its primary mission of defending the country, or with cyber attacks
interrupting power, water, health and food supplies, or while
misinformation campaigns cause civil unrest, or all of these at the same
time.

--
Tom Worthington, MEd FHEA FACS CP IP3P http://www.tomw.net.au
+61(0)419496150

Honorary Lecturer, Computer Science, Australian National University
https://cecs.anu.edu.au/research/profile/tom-worthington