[LINK] All German petrol stations must offer electric car charging

David Lochrin dlochrin at aussiebb.com.au
Fri Jun 12 15:32:00 AEST 2020

Hi Stephen,

On 2020-06-12 11:50, Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> The thing you may have missed is that most people will not need to completely recharge their car on most days e.g. I usually only drive less than 50km a day so recharging is possible (most of the time) in a few hours even from a 10A 240V circuit.

Yes, I take the point.  But I think a network of fast-charge sites which are available 24x7 will be required for those times when drivers are running low but nowhere near a shopping centre, etc. and/or don't have hours have hours available for a slow charge.

I hadn't realised a fast charge required such high currents.  For example, the Leaf fast charge requires a 50 amp outlet (presumably single-phase) but this house, built in 2001, only has a 40 amp single-phase supply from the grid, and that has to run everything else too.

As a matter of interest, did you have special house wiring installed to support your car?

David Lochrin