[LINK] Propose Video Bandwidth Limit During COVID19 Emergency

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Sun Mar 22 09:04:10 AEDT 2020

On 20/3/20 5:04 pm, Paul Brooks wrote:

> Actually, videoconferencing ... I'm not convinced its a problem ...

If most people in Australia are at home, what proportion of them can be
on a video conference at the same time?

> Auto-adjusting-quality video streams generally requires the video be pre-recorded ...

The data use for Zoom reduced, as I reduced the size of the video
window. It seems to have at least low, medium, and high quality video
streams it switches between. Also it seemed to be changing the
resolution, not the frame rate.

ps: YouTube an Netflix are limiting streaming to Standard Definition for
30 days, which is expected to reduce data use by 25%.
https://www.9news.com.au/technology/coronavirus-youtube-netflix-low-stream-quality-self-isolation/ceebcf39-7b16-403b-9491-3351674e56ef

--
Tom Worthington, MEd FHEA FACS CP IP3P http://www.tomw.net.au
+61(0)419496150

Honorary Lecturer, Computer Science, Australian National University
https://cecs.anu.edu.au/research/profile/tom-worthington