[LINK] Question about the app: must location be turned on in order for Bluetooth to work?

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Mon May 4 22:00:28 AEST 2020

On 4/5/20 5:41 pm, jwhit at internode.on.net wrote:
>   I just read a CQU review of the App where the writer said:
> "In regards to enabling location permissions, it’s important to note
> this isn’t the same as turning on-location services. Location
> permissions must be enabled for COVIDSafe to access Bluetooth on
> Androidand Apple devices."
> So, despite the app not collecting location data, other apps that
> would like it but you don't want them to will be?

That sounds inaccurate.  As in 'partly right, but not as written'.

Can you point to the source?

Most posters have been pretty careful and precise up until now.

Misinformation from sceptics *as well as* enthusiasts won't help anyone.

Roger Clarke                            mailto:Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
T: +61 2 6288 6916   http://www.xamax.com.au  http://www.rogerclarke.com

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law            University of N.S.W.