[LINK] Electronic voting in ACT

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Sat Oct 17 11:15:24 AEDT 2020

On 16/10/20 12:24 pm, Kim Holburn wrote:

> ... can't find much information on the machines or how it's done ...

The EVACS system was originally developed through the Canberra company
Software Improvements by people connected to computer science at ANU. It
originally used Debian linux:
http://users.cecs.anu.edu.au/~rpg/EVoting/evote_revacs.html

Standard government computers were used, mounted in a cardboard polling
booth, with a hole cut out for the screen. The same physical arrangement
is still used, but I don't know what sort of computer is underneath now.

I have used the electronic system to vote in ACT elections since 2001.
My notes on this and other e-voting systems:
https://blog.tomw.net.au/search/label/electronic%20voting

There are also research papers on the security and design of the eVacs
system:

Boughton, C. (2006). Maintaining democratic values in e-voting with
eVACS®. In Electronic Voting 2006–2nd International Workshop,
Co-organized by Council of Europe, ESF TED, IFIP WG 8.6 and E-Voting.
CC. Gesellschaft für Informatik eV.
https://dl.gi.de/handle/20.500.12116/29161

Das, A., Niu, Y., & Stegers, T. (2005). Security Analysis of the eVACS
Open-Source Voting System. online], http://wwwcsif. cs. ucdavis. edu/%
7Esteqers/eVACS-final-report. pdf,[09/06/2008].

"Electronic Voting in the 2001 ACT Election", Commonwealth Parliamentary
Library Research Note 46, 2002.
https://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/search/display/display.w3p;query=Id:%22library/prspub/7MS66%22

Jones, M. Investigating the Software Engineering Process for Electronic
Voting Systems.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.497.8133&rep=rep1&type=pdf

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/