[LINK] The Corporatisation of Tertiary Training

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Mon Oct 26 09:24:44 AEDT 2020

On 26/10/20 8:45 am, Tom Worthington wrote:
> Australian universities were established to provide trained
> professionals and useful research, not just to think great thoughts.
>
> It is getting more transactional, but it has always been the case that
> if a university didn't produce useful graduates or research, then it
> would have difficulty attracting funding.

Agreed.

But my point was less about whether AWS produces quality materials and
useful graduates - because I have no insights into those questions.

One concern is that the degree is a "collaboration", and "verified by
AWS Educate" - although, the students, after paying for the degree, may
have to pay more to AWS afterwards, because "students in the degree
won’t automatically receive certification from AWS".

The biggest issue, however, is that the statement that the students are
to "gain skills and first-hand knowledge of AWS’ product development
methodology" gives rise to a serious risk that students won't get
general principles and standards-based approaches supplemented by
exposure to several different proprietary tools, but will instead
themselves be tools of AWS's market domination strategy.

Roger Clarke                            mailto:Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
T: +61 2 6288 6916   http://www.xamax.com.au  http://www.rogerclarke.com

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law            University of N.S.W.