[LINK] Australian University Rankings

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Wed Sep 9 08:49:03 AEST 2020

On 7/9/20 10:54 pm, David Lochrin wrote:
> On 2020-09-06 09:57, Tom Worthington wrote:
>
>> Palali, Van Elk, Bolhaar & Rud (2018) ...
>
> Did the undergrads actually receive significantly ~lower~ grades?

Yes, that was my reading of the research.

> ... a successful IT project only requires knowledge of the technology
> (i.e. vocational training) and strict adherence to the correct
> project methodology ...

No, as I tell my students, most IT projects fail, even if you do the
technical bits right. They usually go wrong due to a failure to
understand who the client was and what they needed, not because of some
technical detail.

> ...  some are born natural teachers and some are not ....

Yes, some people make better teachers than others, but training can
still help most. If the training includes testing, we can keep some of
the really poor teachers away from students by failing them.

--
Tom Worthington, MEd FHEA FACS CP IP3P http://www.tomw.net.au
+61(0)419496150

Honorary Lecturer, Computer Science, Australian National University
https://cecs.anu.edu.au/research/profile/tom-worthington