[LINK] Australia has ‘skipped a generation’ of software engineering education

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Wed Dec 1 10:52:09 AEDT 2021

On 30/11/2021 10:04 am, Roger Clarke wrote:
> I haven't dug into this, but the one big misgiving I have is that
> project-based / 'collaboration and hands-on learning' works when it's of
> the nature of a capstone, after a couple of years' (full-time
> equivalent) of actually learning stuff and doing small-scale exercises
> in a (moderately) planned and gradated sequence.

I totally agree with Roger. The important bit is "after a couple of
years' (full-time equivalent) of actually learning stuff"

When it comes to high end engineering, the stuff of mathematics is critical.

I doubt very much that students could learn differential and integral
calculus, vectors, tensors, Fourier and Laplace transforms, Newtonian
Dynamics etc, by doing project work.

As the saying goes, in theory there is no difference between theory and
practice; in practice there is.

--

Regards
brd