[LINK] Australia has ‘skipped a generation’ of software engineering education

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Fri Dec 3 08:44:20 AEDT 2021

On 1/12/21 10:52 am, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:

> I doubt very much that students could learn differential and integral
> calculus ...  by doing project work. ...

The point of the project work is to learn to work in a team on a
project. Students are assumed to already have the requisite technical
knowledge from prior courses, or experience Anything they don't have
they need to learn during the project.

It is common to use a project as a capstone, where gaps in the students
knowledge and skills can be found, filled, or the student not permitted
to graduate. An added complication in a group project is for the student
to provide evidence of their contribution, and for the examiner to
verify this is true. One approach is with an e-portfolio or logbook:
https://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/search/label/logbooks

--
Tom Worthington http://www.tomw.net.au/