[LINK] Interesting NBN numbers, including storm damage

David dlochrin at aussiebb.com.au
Thu Dec 16 11:23:01 AEDT 2021

Both FTTC & FTTN services connect to a subscriber's premises using the same legacy copper tails as far as I'm aware.  So it seems likely NBN Co. have been blissfully unaware that their FTTN users have exactly the same problem in even greater numbers because the copper runs are longer (~1Km in my case) but the costs are borne by others.  Most household insurance companies won't cover such damage either.

Some areas are more prone to lightning than others.  A lightning strike on a tall tree with rather sparse foliage about 40 metres away from my FTTN modem damaged beyond repair:
o	one rather expensive modem;
o	one VoIP analogue telephone adapter;
o	one Uniden desk 'phone.

A neighbour who was closer to the strike also lost their own modem and a large-screen TV, and found the igniter for their gas HWS over the fence in their neighbour's back yard.  The tree is still standing, if a little bent, and will probably attract another strike at some point.  (I believe trees are damaged when the large currents involved suddenly super-heat moisture and can blast tree-limbs apart.)

Following that expensive lesson, I had a surge diverter installed at the meter box - see for example http://www.novaris.com.au/about/  - and bought inline VDSL2 and an RJ12 surge diverters to protect an FTTN modem and an ATA.  Note, an RJ12 diverter intended for a POTS line may seriously degrade VDSL2 performance by capacitively shunting the DSL line.

Some electricians also thread comms cabling between roof joists and the aluminium reflective foil on the underside (is that correct?) of sarking, which seems to me like bad practice.

Yet another argument for fibre...

David Lochrin