[LINK] China's new Loongson CPU is almost as fast as the first Ryzen

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Sun Jul 25 18:32:02 AEST 2021

> It’s difficult to compare the 3A5000 to US-designed processors on
> paper because of their architectural differences.

>From the Linux kernel updates I've seen it's a RISC processor in the
main line of that CPU design style. So it's entirely possible to
compare them. It's basically equivalent to a mid-range Intel processor
of 2016.

> If that’s not enough performance to impress you

Compare this with the work Apple did during the same period -- the M1
ARM CPU.

> China’s semiconductor industry is approaching self-sufficiency very
> quickly, even if they’re still a ways off.

Self-sufficiency is its own goal. The current cost of that is
performance about a decade behind US-designed processors.

The question is "self-sufficiency for what?"  As it stands at the
moment this give self-sufficiency for the CPUs used in higher-end
military systems. Maybe that's the entirety of the aim.  If their aim
is longer then a non-typical ISA starts to be problematic.

--
Glen Turner