[LINK] China's new Loongson CPU is almost as fast as the first Ryzen

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 14:50:55 AEST 2021

On 2021/07/25 6:32 pm, Glen Turner wrote:
>> China’s semiconductor industry is approaching self-sufficiency very
>> quickly, even if they’re still a ways off.

The US banned Huawei from using chips with US patents.  No wonder the chinese want to be self-sufficient in chip tech.
https://technode.com/2020/08/18/us-expands-huawei-ban-to-third-country-chip-vendors/

> Self-sufficiency is its own goal. The current cost of that is
> performance about a decade behind US-designed processors.

Yes, it is and I aaume they will catch up pretty fast.

> The question is "self-sufficiency for what?"  As it stands at the
> moment this give self-sufficiency for the CPUs used in higher-end
> military systems. Maybe that's the entirety of the aim.  If their aim
> is longer then a non-typical ISA starts to be problematic.

In many ways our computer technology is run to make equipment for the US military, western militaries.  Why would China be any
different?

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant