[LINK] WiMax peer to peer

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 15:48:05 AEST 2021

Dear List,

I'm asking this here as, quite frankly, I dont know where else to ask, and
I figured there is probably someone here that knows (or knows someone who
might know) .

I'm trying to find if peer-to-peer connections using wimax CPEs are
possible.

Since WiMax is a dying technology, being replaced with LTE, the places to
ask are rather limited.

What I do know:

Intel used to manufacture hybrid mini-PCI cards installed on laptops during
its WiMax marketing push. These cards work both on 802.11n WiFi (2.4Ghz
band) and also WiMax Mobile (2.3 GHz and 2.5Ghz bands).

I also know that Linux has drivers for such cards and that there is a
wimax-tools package.
eg
https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/hardware/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/i586/wimax-tools-1.4.5-7.87.i586.rpm

What nobody was able to tell me is if there are ways to either:

-implement a "WiMax base station in software" (impersonate a wimax base
station)

Or
-establish a client-to-client link between two wimax clients (in other
words, what "wifi direct" does).

My goal is simple: letting two of these laptops talk to each other over the
wimax cards,without using wifi.

(2.4Ghz is overcrowded and replacing the cards with dual-band ac ones is
not possible). Please do not question my motives, or offer alternative
solutions, I'm interesting in knowing if wimax, per the design specs,
allows this.

Apologies in advance for the noise, and any off-list pointers to wimax
discussion sites or lists are also welcome.

Thanks

FC