[LINK] Fwd: RFI: Suitable Tools for an Electronic Forum

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Fri Jun 25 13:12:33 AEST 2021

Karl Auer wrote on Fri, 25 Jun 2021 09:47:07 +1000: ...

Valuable thanks Karl!  Especially:
> The various forum products out there are mostly crap. Discourse is OK
as a forum, but has no effective mailing list capability. Most forum
products have very poor thread-handling abilities, and very VERY poor
search facilities. This means that unless someone is curating them and
adding metathreads, or unless participants exercise a lot of
discipline, useful discussions are just as quickly lost as in Slack or
Discord.

Below are initial mumbles (a discourse?) on Discourse as a solution.

______________

For this purpose (three successive, time-limited consultations, with
some natural structure, particularly in the first two rounds), Discourse
may well be closer to what's needed than anything else I've come across.

This needs further checking:  https://www.discourse.org/features

First impression:  Not quite intuitive, but the Demo may well be enough
for multiple users to conquer that problem, and functionally it has some
relevant features:    https://try.discourse.org

(The problem with tools of this kind isn't the people who are native to
the particular mode of communication, but rather those who find it
foreign, are put-off by that, and fail to get involved).

May need the Business version, for USD 300 pmo!
But can claim 50% discount for an NFP = AUD 200 x 6mths = AUD 1200
https://www.discourse.org/pricing

But could start with Standard for 1/3rd the price = AUD 67pmo,
because conversion between plans is said to be simple and quick
Or Standard or Pro Install in cloud USD250/300 + 5pmo = AUD 450

Archival may be as primitive as print-to-PDF from each channel.
But by signing up a pseudo-member to receive everything by email, it
should auto-dump everything into .eml in that mailbox.

FAQ / Code of Conduct:
https://try.discourse.org/faq
Has some ideas that improve on the one I did for Internet Aust:
https://internet.org.au/about/25-policies/201-code-of-conduct

As a bonus, the Privacy Policy is *informative* !?
https://www.discourse.org/privacy

14-day trial only, so I'll need to hold off on that.  Or I can use one
email-address to register for an initial one-person trial, and a
different one later, if we need several of us to check it out.

Hang on, for AUD 67 pmo, it's cheap enough to live-trial.