[LINK] Australian Crime Commission: Only Criminals Use Encrypted Communications

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Sat May 15 15:40:57 AEST 2021

On 13/5/21 1:30 pm, jwhit at internode.on.net wrote:

> [...]

Since 2G, phones have had encryption. What ACIC is really saying is they
don't think the community should have encryption the intelligence
services can't break, or get the keys to. Even if we can trust them, who
else can get in, due to weakened protection?

There are obvious reasons for the community to use encrypted
communications to protect us from criminals and hostile nation states.

Does ACIC want medical information, and critical infrastructure to not
have the highest possible protection?

The USA had a state of emergency last week, due to someone getting into
a pipeline company's computers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_Pipeline_cyberattack

--
Tom Worthington http://www.tomw.net.au