[LINK] Should Australia consider nuclear electricity?

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Wed Nov 24 18:27:36 AEDT 2021

On 2021/11/24 4:47 pm, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2021, Karl Auer wrote:
>
>> True! And nuclear power stations also produce the deadliest, longest-
>> lived and hardest-to-control waste products of any technology ever
>> invented, with the possible exceptions of actual biological and nuclear
>> weapons. And with even deadlier and even less-controllable outcomes in
>> case of accident or natural disaster.
>
> How do you feel about using fast breeder reactors to extract more energy and reduce the nuclear waste by a couple of orders of
> magnitude?

If we just used uranium, we would be able to completely replace fossil fuels for 30 years.  Using fast breeder reactors we could
make it last a little longer, maybe 1000 years at most.  We would also be allowing every country access to weapons grade fuel.
Apart from that, Karl's comments apply many times over.