[LINK] What are the new frontiers of war?

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Oct 4 08:30:02 AEDT 2021

On 2/10/21 11:16 am, gerard wrote:

> ... at ANU ten or so years ago on a mini-sub swarm named Serafina.  ...

Yes, the test tank for Serafina was outside my ANU office window*.

Here is the old website for the project:
http://users.cecs.anu.edu.au/~serafina/

But complex swarming behavior, and advanced AI, are not needed to make a
useful UUV. Also Serafina was experimenting with what the US Navy call a
"Man Portable" UUV, less than 1 m long. The Australian navy will likely
need something longer range, in the Light to Heavy class, 2 to 6 m long.
https://www.hsdl.org/?view&did=708654

* Reminds me of David Williamson's play "The Department", about a
university engineering department with a testing tank.

--
Tom Worthington http://www.tomw.net.au