[LINK] The Government's Climate Change plan

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Fri Oct 29 09:27:48 AEDT 2021

On 29/10/21 8:58 am, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
> My letter in the SMH today:    ...
> The common factor? Governments that don't understand how to solve
> problems with technology.

Hardly any of the Clth public service has any experience in or affinity
to operational matters.  When a Green Loans program kills people, and
NDIS costs much more and achieves less (because of layers of bureaucracy
designed to buck-pass the blame), it comes as no surprise.

What's much scarier is the denudation of operational competence at State
levels.  Despite all the nonsense about States being an unnecessary
level of government, this is where actual stuff happens.

Many State departments used to be populated by (stuffy, over-managed,
over-audited and under-worked, but at least moderately competent)
employees.  That's been dissipated, privatised, contracted-out, and
de-regulated, so quality and reliability continues to plummet.

Another article in the same paper reported on a flotilla of
no-longer-used TAFE premises being quietly sold off.  Some courses *do*
lend themselves to primarily remote learning.  (There are loads of
fill-in-the-paperwork 'qualifications', and a Cert I in handling
weedicides is in the useful-to-have-flicked-through category).

But the trades?  And especially the high-tech trades and diplomas
involving expensive kit and (hopefully) skilled technical teachers?
Remote, and virtually hands-on??  Haptics isn't at that level, and may
never catch up with the sci-fi and marketers' visions.

Good letter, by the way Bernard, and ABC News carried something on
similar lines from an overseas commentator.

Roger Clarke                            mailto:Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
T: +61 2 6288 6916   http://www.xamax.com.au  http://www.rogerclarke.com

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law            University of N.S.W.