[LINK] The Wheels Fell Off My Virtual Shopping Trolley in the Pandemic

Jan Whitaker jwhit at internode.on.net
Sat Sep 11 09:54:52 AEST 2021

Huh. I find it very easy (after figuring out how it works the first
time). I'm hooked. It would be different if you are a diversity or
browser shopper, but I find the kept list of prior purchases extremely
useful. I use Coles Click and Collect from a shop 2 minutes away. If
it's ready for pickup (tip: use morning time blocks - afternoons are
blow-outs and you may wait beyond your "reserved" time period), I can
leave home and be back in around 10 minutes. I see you couldn't find a
store near you. Yeah, I thought the same BUT mine is there if you know
how to look for it. Go to the store's website, NOT the assumed delivery
website, which is where the system seemed to start. If you do the
selection of products starting in that store, the click and collect
option should appear on checkout. Do a single item test to see. I then
bookmarked that entry point instead of the generic Coles web address.

I think that *might* solve your delay problem. It people are going to
the default 'delivery' store (we only have 2 in my area, but about 5
Coles), they are all hitting the same store and overwhelming them. Try
the trick of your local store and see if you can get collect more
conveniently. I've had pick-up offers on the same day, but usually set
it up the evening before for pick-up the next morning. Can even change
the order until 1am before it's "locked in".

Their website design for product selection has lots of variability to
search - Everything, Specials, Prior Purchases as targets, then about
any letter string you want to enter in search. You can sort by price per
unit or price per item, brand, store category like deli or kids or
frozen, and I'm sure other aspects. You can even create a shopping list
and then just select when you're ready to shop. I set up a list called
Occasional Items to check (cat food for my ravens is on there, but
that's another story) and it appears as one of the tabs.

I did find that Paypal slowed down the payment drop at the store a
little, but direct debit card was no drama at all.

I haven't done delivery because I don't want to join their club or pay
extra for that since they are so close. Gets the car out of the garage.
And Collect to Boot is no charge for a minimum purchase of $50. If that
is above my weekly shop 'budget', I just wait a couple days and it evens
out over the month, or add things that I'll need anyway. Their online
specials are often very good, too.

I'm sure the number of people doing this during lockdowns puts pressure
on the stores. But so far the only bad experience I've had was missing
the 4-6pm slot delivery time and never being told on the website that it
was ready for collection, so I drove up and called for it. I suspect it
was 'after work' or habitual 'buying for tea' people and understaffing
for that time period.

Jan