[LINK] Computer science born in Australia 70 years ago

Jan Whitaker jwhit at internode.on.net
Mon Sep 20 09:48:25 AEST 2021

What a great story, Tony. Personally, being in education, I could see
that this personal computer revolution was going to change my field
immensely, so I too bought a TRS-80 so I could learn about computing
from the ground up. My little heart still goes pitty-pat when I remember
the first blinking lights and realising if I bought a printer I could
stop retyping everything. I even started a small business maintaining
mailing lists and printing labels for other small businesses. Well, only
1 actually - an architecture association in Phoenix. Investing in
computers back then was too much for small offices. I gave my gear away
to a tech friend when I left the US.

But to think how important that investment was for your family and what
they have contributed since is really a super story. Makes me wonder
what today's young people will dabble in for their own futures. Remember
how gaming became a thing last decade and how huge that has grown! Next:
space? ubiquitous virtual reality? Musk's idea of brain transfer? (that
one scares me - read the Dean Koontz series with Jane Hawk - I'm nearly
finished with that horror show - shudder)

Jan