[LINK] The 'Sea Snake' Phenomenon: 'Please Explain'

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Fri Sep 24 11:12:59 AEST 2021

On Fri, 24 Sep 2021, Roger Clarke wrote:

> EU wants USB-C charging port to become standard for all devices
> https://www.itnews.com.au/news/eu-wants-usb-c-charging-port-to-become-standard-for-all-devices-570274

USB-C for the win!

USB-C docking stations for laptops really are a dream compared to what
came before.

> Half the chargers sold with mobile phones in 2018 had a USB micro-B
> connector, while 29 percent had a USB-C connector and 21 percent a
> Lightning connector, according to a 2019 Commission study.

Indeed.  In my car I have a 'cigarette lighter' adapter with three USB
ports.  Connected are Lightning, USB micro-B and USB-C cables.

> [European] Commission industry chief Thierry Breton pointed to the
> ungainly sight of multiple charging cables.
>
> "My job is to kill off these sea snakes whenever I can," he told a news
> conference.

TBH I'll still need three cables even if they are all USB-C.  Not having
to hunt for the right cable would be nice though.

Of course we could see 'yet another standard' connector appear but I think
USB-C will be quite long lived as USB-A has been.

Rob