[LINK] How space is changing the nature of war

Stephen Loosley StephenLoosley at outlook.com
Wed Feb 16 18:57:33 AEDT 2022

Tom writes,

> Compared to a stealth bomber, just about anything is a bargain.
> If you want a space weapon, there are cheaper, simpler options.
>  Military Starships could encourage more countries developing
> their own space based weapons under the guise of a commercial
> civilian space program.

Exactly, as China is also developing this same technology apparently.

Thus I suppose we should listen to experts regarding future weapons
Tom. For example, the gents who authored the original Link items, i.e.
Lieutenant Colonel Arrington, a National Defense Fellow at the Center
for a New American Security Washington, MIT Fellow, and previously,
executive officer to the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Also
co-writer Lieutenant Colonel Justin W Chandler, currently assigned to
the United States Space-Force Headquarters Staff in Washington, D.C.

One guesses they know what they’re writing about when they say: ( as
below, and as previously quoted) And also as China are doing the same:

“Rocket cargo delivery represents the beginnings of a techno-strategy to change the strategic discussion regarding potential conflict with China or any powerful adversary. The ability to rapidly deploy cargo and personnel through space to support contingency operations complicates the strategic calculus of an adversary. The potential capability to land Starship in an austere environment, the challenge of targeting a rocket re-entry from space, an expendable payload, and the ability to deploy numerous other capabilities from the cargo bay of a rocket are all factors that allow rocket cargo delivery to revolutionize the nature of warfare.

Additionally, Starship’s mass to orbit capability also allows for the ability to rapidly reconstitute a satellite constellation and the multi-role Starship variants additionally provide an on-orbit refueling capability. These unique mission sets further the ability to deter aggression and complicate and adversary’s strategy.

The U.S. military is not alone in the recognition that the nature of warfare has changed.  The Chinese are investing in their own rocket cargo delivery capabilities. Beijing Lingkong Tianxing ("Beijing Space Transportation") are developing point-to-point rockets with a vertical take-off/landing capability and flyback booster. Their stated objectives include launching from Shanghai and arriving in Dubai in 60 minutes, covering 4,350 miles.”