[LINK] Cyberweapon asymmetry

hamish at moffatt.email hamish at moffatt.email
Fri Feb 25 17:13:37 AEDT 2022

On 25/2/22 15:38, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
> I have read about claims that multiple state actors have attacked
> Western democracies' computer systems.
>
> Apart from a few attacks going the other way, e.g Stuxnet (allegedly
> USA/Israel see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet for some
> details), I haven't seen much about the capabilities of NSA/GCHQ etc
> to inflict damage on these state actors.
>
> Have I missed something? I can't believe that the USA hasn't got at
> least some capability to do damage to various parts of a country's
> commercial and/or military systems.

Of course they do, but they keep it secret better (at least from Western
media).

Remember that the NSA themselves were hacked and their tools stolen and
leaked back in 2016.
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2019/05/leaked_nsa_hack.html

I'm reading the book "This Is How They Tell Me The World Ends"
(https://thisishowtheytellmetheworldends.com/) at the moment. It's a
fascinating read about the trade in zero-day software exploits and the
involvement of the NSA and the like.

Hamish