[LINK] Microcredentials

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Thu Mar 31 08:31:41 AEDT 2022

On 30/3/22 09:51, Roger Clarke wrote:

> I'm adding to Tom's points, not disagreeing at all ...

Please disagree, I consider it a complement.

> So how does the 'micro-credential' world address the need for
> 'foundations', 'coherence' and 'cumulative knowledge'?

My preference would be using an e-portfolio. The student would be given
a template listing all the skills and knowledge required to graduate.
When the student had filled in evidence of everything required, and
someone has ticked all the boxes to say each item meets the standard
required, a qualification would be awarded. As evidence students could
use formal courses, project work, or work experience. The student and
staff would be trained in how to do this.
https://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/2020/08/online-assessment-with-portfolios-in.html

> What approach is taken in the micro-credential fairyland to
> pre-requisites?

Universities usually happy to accept people with relevant work
experience, in place of qualifications, for graduate programs,
especially sub-degree ones.

> ... dumbing-down of the unit content and presentation trying to reach
> the lowest-common-denominator student ...

The micro-credentials are supposed to meet the same assessment and
quality standards as larger qualifications. ANU's Micro-credentials
Procedure takes this approach:
https://policies.anu.edu.au/ppl/document/ANUP_5972718

> ... real target-students utterly frustrated by the superficiality...

Don't hold back Roger, tell us what you really think. ;-)

> ... speaking to only the minority of people who
> *should* be in the room ...

"Speaking"? "Room"? These microcredentials are usually entirely online.
In many cases have no live person speaking, just some video recordings
to watch. ANU procedures say that at least a third of the student's
study time must be "contact". It can be online, but it can't be just
watching a recording.

> ... I think the micro-credential notion is justabout the silliest idea
> I've heard in 55 years of involvement with post-secondary ed. ...

Bit harsh: what about MOOCs? They are much sillier. No doubt I will get
taken to task for that comment by Stephen Downes, co-creator of the
MOOC, in his OLDaily publication.
https://www.downes.ca/archive/22/03_28_news_OLDaily.htm

--
Tom Worthington, http://www.tomw.net.au