[LINK] Starlink Deal: Satellite Internet $139/Month

Stephen Loosley StephenLoosley at outlook.com
Wed Nov 2 10:59:24 AEDT 2022

Low-Earth Orbit Satellite Internet (up to 370Mbps/51.6Mbps) $139/Month + $450 Hardware Delivered @ Starlink (Excludes Darwin)

Go to Deal https://www.starlink.com/
See this Post: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/733869

By LRustyBBag on 01/11/2022 - 07:24 starlink.com (3051 clicks)

Update: Includes starlink for RV's, lower price is applied at checkout. $174 for the first month and you can pause the service at any time.

Starlink Availability Map (starlink.com)  https://www.starlink.com/map  — Service for Darwin & Northern Australia expected Q1 2023.

Elon Musk’s space venture - Starlink price has dropped to $450.

Starlink is a satellite internet service providing high-speed, low latency broadband internet with speeds from 50Mb/s to 400Mb/s and latency from 20ms to 40ms. Early users are reporting speeds of 300Mbps+.

Reader Comments:

                Data caps are looking likely in USA.
            GeneralSkunk on 01/11/2022 - 08:19
            +23

            This reminds me of the old Optusnet Cable days of the early 00s. My mate had it and it was unlimited (fair use policy), maxed out at 10Mbps while everyone else had 512kbps ADSL (1/20th the speed). But it was by virtue of hardly anyone being on it. After a couple of years everyone was on it leeching and the speed became a joke. Let’s see how Starlink goes.
                M00Cow on 01/11/2022 - 08:37
                +12

                Yep, it'll be no different to cable, 3g, 4g, etc. Fun until the unwashed masses join in and ruin it. But excellent for those on the move or who can't get a cable
                    Lovemybargains on 01/11/2022 - 17:45
                    +1

                    @M00Cow: LOL @M00Cow "unwashed masses"
                OpticalCog on 01/11/2022 - 16:25
                +1

                Doubt this will be the case tbh. The SL sats are on orbital paths which also have to cover areas with much higher population densities than Australia. So from a satellite perspective (the expensive part), there is a chance Australia will be overprovisioned. I doubt they'd skimp on the ground stations being they would be comparatively cheap. The only place that could potentially be an issue would be Sydney/Melbourne due to their population density but even then each satellite has a throw of ~50k kmsq which would put areas like NY+Philly and several regions in Europe and a number of cities across Asia at a higher density level.

                Perhaps I'm naive and overly hopeful but as long as the price remains higher than ~250Mbps NBN and 5G plans and the cost of the initial satellite stays high there shouldn't be that many people opting for this over NBN/5G.
        John Doh on 01/11/2022 - 08:42
        +1

        Absolutely. I get 67mbps on a 100mbps plan(line limitation) and pay 89 per month for it. If I switch back to 50mbps plan, then I will be getting 45mbps average which I am not happy with.
            orangutan on 01/11/2022 - 08:52

            Unless you need unlimited, perhaps consider 5G?
                John Doh on 01/11/2022 - 09:14

                I need 700GB atleast
                    orangutan on 01/11/2022 - 11:00

                    @John Doh: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/731460

                    Depends on your location, this might be a better value. I seldom have problem and getting good speed, usually around 200mbps.
                        John Doh on 01/11/2022 - 11:16

                        @orangutan: I probably might try it or optus, both seem to have 250mbps but how are the dropouts? I might try them as optus I think gives a month free.

Etc...

--