[LINK] Creating safer self-driving e-vehicle road lanes?

David dlochrin at aussiebb.com.au
Wed Oct 5 11:57:17 AEDT 2022

On 3/10/22 18:06, Tom Worthington wrote:
> Cars commonly come with the safety systems switched on by default,
> which you can dial down, but not turn off completely.
When I enquired a couple of years ago, the Toyota lane-keeping and
automatic-braking technology (then optional on some models) could be
switched off completely.  But it had to be disabled every time vehicle
was started, perhaps in part for very sound legal reasons.

But if I remember correctly, similar "features" on the Nissan Leaf EV
were standard and could not be disabled.

> This is something aircraft designers have debated for decades. In an
> Airbus, however much you move the joystick, the aircraft will not
> exceed preprogrammed limits. Boeing takes a different approach: the
> pilot is warned they are reaching safe limits by making the yoke
> harder to move, but the aircraft will exceed these limits. In
> practice, as an airliner has two highly trained pilots, it makes very
> little difference.
Surely this scenario is quite different?  The aircraft case revolves
around preventing a pilot from unintentionally exceeding the aircraft's
safe operational envelope, which can be very complex since it depends on
external factors such as temperature, load & balance, wind speed &
direction, etc., and especially in an emergency situation.  However
lane-keeping, automatic-braking, and similar technology in a domestic
car is intended to compensate for unsafe drivers who fall asleep,
tailgate, and so on.
_
Regards__, David Lochrin_