[LINK] Creating safer self-driving e-vehicle road lanes?

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Wed Oct 5 17:01:29 AEDT 2022

On 2022/10/5 3:42 pm, David wrote:

> On 5/10/22 14:48, Kim Holburn wrote:
>> On 2022/10/5 11:57 am, David wrote:
>>> But it had to be disabled every time vehicle was started, perhaps in part for very sound legal reasons.
>> ???  Which were?
> If a driver "intentionally" disables the system when they start the car, then that particular driver accepts legal responsibility
> for so doing because the system resets when the car is switched off.
Since many cars don't have this technology, it's effectively switched off, so I don't see the legal argument holds water.
>>> However lane-keeping, automatic-braking, and similar technology in a domestic car is intended to compensate for unsafe drivers
>>> who fall asleep, tailgate, and so on.
>> There may be technologies that might compensate for unsafe drivers who fall asleep, but these aren't them.
> I badly worded that.  I had in mind a driver who micro-sleeps but is woken up when the car brakes because it's getting to close to
> the one in front.
>
>> My car has adaptive cruise control that allows me to "tailgate" relatively safely.  Is this a good thing?
> In that case you'd be depending on the technology to get you out of the essentially unsafe practice of tailgating.  It would be
> interesting to know whether it would stop you safely should the car in front be doing the same thing but without the technology,
> and you're all on a greasy road.  I'm not a lawyer, but I doubt the Judge would think the technology was relevant.

I depend on the technology of every car I've ever driven to get me out of the essentially unsafe practice of driving at speeds that
could easily kill me, ie speeds over 60 kmh.

 >In that case you'd be depending on the technology to get you out of the essentially unsafe practice of tailgating.

I'm using it to do something I wouldn't be comfortable doing without the additional, and I might add, legal and registered, technology.

 >It would be interesting to know whether it would stop you safely should the car in front be doing the same thing but without the
technology,

It has many adjustments I can make to adapt it to different circumstances.  Just like I drive differently under different
circumstances.  It's just another technology in a vehicle built with many different technologies and controlled and driven with many
technologies.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant