[LINK] Creating safer self-driving e-vehicle road lanes?

David dlochrin at aussiebb.com.au
Wed Sep 28 16:38:21 AEST 2022

On 28/9/22 07:53, Tom Worthington wrote:
> On 24/9/22 20:09, Stephen Loosley wrote:
>
> And cars with night vision head-up displays? ;-)
>
> More seriously, onboard driver aids which check the driver is paying
> attention would be far more effective. ANU spinoff Seeing Machines
> make a device to check the driver is looking out the window. This is
> now installed in some up-market cars:
> https://blog.tomw.net.au/2017/12/canberra-start-up-overnight-success.html
>
> Other aids which steer cars around bends have shown their worth.
> https://www.drive.com.au/news/lane-keeping-assist-could-be-compulsory-in-australia/
>
> Mercedes actually made an infrared camera equipped car, but of
> questionable value:
> https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/39300/night-vision-mercedes

And since every new gadget, technology, regulation, etc. has its'
inherent problems, what are the downsides of those technologies?

When I see another vehicle coming towards me at a relative speed of ~200
kph the last thing I want before I take evasive action is fight the
driver-management computer or think through the technology first.

_David Lochrin_