[LINK] ChatGPT

David dlochrin at aussiebb.com.au
Tue Jan 31 12:52:00 AEDT 2023

On 31/1/23 10:40, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Tue, 2023-01-31 at 09:47 +1100, Tom Worthington wrote:
>> Perhaps. But how many preventable accidents, higher costs, less well educated children, and innocent people sent to jail, are we willing to accept as a result of not using AI?
> And how many are we prepared to accept as a result of *using* AI?

I agree.

Human affairs need to be managed by humans, not machines.

No computer so far has achieved anything remotely approaching sentient consciousness (whatever Elon Musk may have said about those in his driverless cars :-), let alone human experience of the world.  Our understanding is the product of our brains & bodies evolution on Earth over at least the last one millions years, as encoded into the brain of every new-born child.

It's this on which the ethical foundations of human civilisation are fundamentally built.

So whether we likes it or not, we're stuck with the current mess and we need to figure it out ourselves.  Appeals to the mystique of "AI" are beginning to sound to me like appeals to God, asuming she/he/it exists, to please rescue us!!

_Cheers, D._