[LINK] “rich digital learning activities”

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Wed Sep 18 09:05:04 AEST 2024

On 14/9/24 20:01, Stephen Loosley wrote:

> ‘The death of campus life’: first major Australian university dumps face-to-face lectures, leaving staff ‘furious’ ...
> By Caitlin Cassidy 13 Sep 2024 https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2024/sep/13/adelaide-university-dumps-face-to-face-lectures

I attended a seminar at University Adelaide recently. The staff did not
appear to be "furious". Instead I listened to students actively
undertaking interesting projects, solving real world problems. In this
case involving generating electricity while making wine. ;-)
https://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/2024/08/vitivolatics-vineyards-with.html

> Ahead of the merged university opening at the beginning of 2026, staff at the University of Adelaide and the University of South Australia were informed last week that traditional lectures would no longer form a part of courses.

I gave my last lecture in 2008:
https://blog.tomw.net.au/2008/08/my-last-lecture.html

Since then I have researched and trained in how to have students doing
things, rather than just sitting and listening. None of this is new.
Traditionally students were offered lectures, but most did not attend.
Instead they learned alone, in self managed groups and occasionally in
activities officially organized, such as tutorials and labs.

But you can't just declare an approach to education, you have to train
staff to do it and equip them with tools. Australian universities have
been quietly doing this over the last few years. I hope to help teach
academic how to do this.

--
Tom Worthington http://www.tomw.net.au