[LINK] How did pagers explode?

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Thu Sep 19 08:50:32 AEST 2024

Yesterday SBS News asked me about exploding pagers. So propped my phone
on a suitcase & was interviewed for the national news: "How did
Hezbollah's pagers explode in Lebanon and Syria?".
https://youtu.be/98u6VcDiNJ0?si=xbPMkrJLCAmNFIxN

When working at HQ Australian Defence Force I tested the use of pagers,
traveling around defence bases in northern Australia by RAAF aircraft.
The units were able to receive messages in remote areas and while in
flight, making them useful.

One feature which I noticed was that it was possible to send a test
message to a pager which was apparently switched off. The only way to
prevent this was to remove the battery from the unit. It is likely that
something like this was used for the attack on Hezbollah. Also I warned
that some of the pagers could have not been delivered to their intended
targets and pose a danger to the community, worldwide.

Any thoughts for followup interviews?
https://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/2024/09/how-did-pagers-explode.html

--
Tom Worthington, MEd FHEA FACS CP IP3P http://www.tomw.net.au
+61(0)419496150

Honorary Lecturer, Computer Science, Australian National University
https://cecc.anu.edu.au/people/tom-worthington