[LINK] US Federal Trade Commission Says Social Media Platforms Engage in Vast-Surveillance of Users

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Sat Sep 21 06:50:29 AEST 2024

Thanks for posting, Stephen.

Here are my rueful remarks on the privacy list:

[ Fully a quarter-century back, I published an article in Communications
of the ACM entitled 'Internet Privacy Concerns Confirm the Case for
Intervention':  http://rogerclarke.com/DV/CACM99.html

[ A couple of years later, Al Qaeda took down the Twin Towers, natsec
extremism has held sway ever since, and corporations have fed the
surveillance beast, converted the Web from client-driven to
server-dominated, hoovered up data, and monetised it.

[ But it's nice to see that US regulators, who are generally even more
friendly to corporate interests than their Australian counterparts, have
given up pretending that self-regulation achieves anything at all:

 > ... these surveillance practices can endanger people’s privacy,
threaten their freedoms, and expose them to a host of harms, from
identify theft to stalking ...

 > ... self-regulation is not the answer ... the FTC says Congress
should pass comprehensive federal privacy legislation to limit
surveillance and give consumers rights over their data ...

[ Too late.  Digital Surveillance Economy corporations are so powerful
that no US Administration is likely to be prepared to rein them in.
Eric Schmidt wanted corporatised government, and we're nearly there. ]

Clarke R. (2019)  'Risks Inherent in the Digital Surveillance Economy: A
Research Agenda'  Journal of Information Technology 34,1 (Mar 2019)
59-80, at http://www.rogerclarke.com/EC/DSE.html

Greenleaf G. et al. (2019)  'Digital platforms: The need to restrict
surveillance capitalism'  Submission to the ACCC, Australian Privacy
Foundation, February 2019, at
http://www.rogerclarke.com/DV/SSRN-id3341044.pdf

________

FTC Says Social Media Platforms Engage in ‘Vast Surveillance’ of Users
A scathing new report takes aim directly at Big Tech and alleged
violations of privacy.
Matt Novak
Gizmodo
September 20, 2024
https://gizmodo.com/ftc-says-social-media-platforms-engage-in-vast-surveillance-of-users-2000500840

________

Roger Clarke                            mailto:Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
T: +61 2 6288 6916   http://www.xamax.com.au  http://www.rogerclarke.com

Visiting Professorial Fellow                          UNSW Law & Justice