[LINK] How did pagers explode?

Narelle Clark narellec at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 12:15:53 AEST 2024

On Thu, 19 Sept 2024, 8:54 am Tom Worthington, <tom.worthington at tomw.net.au>
wrote:

> One feature which I noticed was that it was possible to send a test
> message to a pager which was apparently switched off. The only way to
> prevent this was to remove the battery from the unit. It is likely that
> something like this was used for the attack on Hezbollah.

This isn't uncommon for a lot of handsets too, but with pagers given the
nature of their use, low battery consumption and passive receiver status
they aren't often turned off. At least that was the way they were used. I
doubt your average terrorist would act differently.

Also I warned
> that some of the pagers could have not been delivered to their intended
> targets and pose a danger to the community, worldwide.

I think this last statement is unnecessarily alarmist. I would expect that
there would be very tight arrangements around these devices and it's highly
unlikely any would have strayed at all. They wouldn't have made too many
and likely they're all in the same batch.

Cheers

Narelle