[Nauty] How to apply automorphisms?

Brendan McKay bdm at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Jul 29 13:16:01 EST 2004

Hi, I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.

Suppose we have graphs G and H.  By applying nauty to each of
G and H we can find an isomorphism phi from G to H.  We can also
find the orbits of Aut(G) and Aut(H) - these are given by the
parameter orbits[].   Then there is an isomorphism from G to H
that maps g in G onto h in H iff phi(g) lies in the same orbit
of Aut(H) as h lies in.

This means it is very efficient to ask this question for many g and h
once nauty has been called separately for G and H.  In case you only
want to ask this question for a single g in G and h in H, you can
use the method that Guenter suggested.  Call nauty for G with an
initial colouring (partition) [ g | everything else] and call nauty
for H with initial colouring (partition) [ h | everything else].
Then there is an isomorphism mapping g onto h iff the canonical
graphs are the same.

Brendan.

* Aisha Fenton <aishafenton at mac.com> [040728 21:01]: