[Nauty] installing nauty

Delavina, Ermelinda DelavinaE at uhd.edu
Sat Mar 13 11:58:01 EST 2004

Hi,

I am trying to install nauty on windows 2000. I had already downloaded
djgpp (djdev203 and 3 other recommended files) and nauty22b6, when I
conducted a web search and ran across your email list. Brendan's reply
to a similar query (dated Dec. 1, 2003) seemed just what I needed, since
at that point it became clear that I needed bsh204b. While executing the
command ./configure, it them became clear that I needed many more files :-).

Now, I seem to have one last error message that I haven't figure out.

Once ./configure begins, the following messages are reported

checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host type: you
must specify one.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to settle this error?

Best Wishes,
Ermelinda

I don't have XP, but here is what I do on Win 98.

1.  make sure that "bash" is installed (available for djgpp).
2.  run bash.  (I just type "bash" in the run menu)
3.  cd dir    // where dir is the place you put nauty22b6.zip
4.  unzip nauty22b6.zip   // unpacks nauty into directory nauty22
       OR
    tar zvfx nauty22b6.tar.gz   // if you downloaded that file instead
5.  cd nauty22
6.  ./configure
7.  make

Now you have nauty installed (if nothing went wrong).  For example,
let's count the 6-vertex graphs according to maximum degree.

   geng 6 | countg --D

If the current directory is not in your path you might need to use
  ./geng 6 | ./countg --D
Brendan.