[Nauty] Understanding Nauty

Noah Giansiracusa noahgian at math.washington.edu
Mon Jul 25 14:07:08 EST 2005

Hello,

A couple years ago I wrote an undergraduate term paper with the goal of trying to understand/illustrate the Nauty algorithm (at least the use of canonical labels to detect isomorphism) for one of my math classes.  It isn't great, but it might help a little bit.  It has some examples that might give an idea of how canonical labels work, but unfortunately I wrote this before taking algebra, so it leaves much to be desired (especially toward the end).  You can see it at:

staff.washington.edu/~noahgian/Isomorphism.pdf

I am curious to know if other people have written accounts as well (I had a lot of fun working on this project).

Good luck!
Noah