[Nauty] Sub-graph isomorphism

Wutnipong Sompamitr sompami2 at csd.uwm.edu
Fri Mar 18 10:23:02 EST 2005

Hello,

I am learning to use dreadnaut.  Now I am able to convert my directed
multi-graph with colored edges to the form that nauty uses. I was able to
compare 2 graphs whether they are identical (from the example in nauty
manual).

My next step is to figure out how can I compare 2 graphs and figure the
best matches of 2 graphs (or subgraphs).  For example, I have 2 graphs G
and G' as follows:

G:    A-->B  C-->D-->E-->F

G':   X-->Y  P-->Q-->R

It's for sure that G is not equal to G'.  However, we can find sub-graph
isomorphism in here:  A=X , B=Y , C=P , D=Q , E=R.

Can nauty (or dreadnaut) handle this?  Or I have to write a program that
finds cannonical forms of G and G', then figure out the subgraph
isomorphism?

Thank you very much in advance.

-Wutnipong