[Nauty-list] 32 or 64 bit

Gordon Royle gordon at csse.uwa.edu.au
Mon Apr 21 18:03:44 EST 2008

On 21/04/2008, at 2:58 AM, Paul T. Darga wrote:

> I'm guessing that it has to do with the default compiler on the
> system, i.e. it's not so much a nauty thing as a Solaris thing.  I
> don't know off hand what flags you have to give Solaris compilers,
> but you can override what nauty puts in there with something like:
>
> $ make CFLAGS='-O4 -m64'
>
> Where I'm taking a stab that '-m64' puts the compiler in 64-bit
> mode.  Something like that.

Yes, there are compiler switches for gcc and indeed gcc -m64 works
fine for compiling a little test program.

And I can add it to CFLAGS and SAFECFLAGS in the makefile, and it
actually compiles nauty.

But the trouble is that nauty has already decided that WORDSIZE = 32
(maybe at the ./configure stage?) and so the compiler flag is too late
to have any effect...

I can "sort of" make it work by kludging it as follows

- add the line #define WORDSIZE 64 to the nauty-h.in
- add -m64 to the CFLAGS and SAFECFLAGS
- recompile

This works with only one or two warnings...

But I don't like it... I really want to have it work automatically..

Cheers

Gordon