[Nauty-list] Custom pruning in genbg

Stephen Hartke hartke at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 05:32:54 EST 2011

Brendan,

Thanks for your response regarding the degree and the value of m!  It
answered my questions.

Would it be possible to add a feature to geng/genbg that accepts a different
graph as the initialization?  The program then would only search for larger
graphs that canonically delete down to the initial graph.  The initial graph
could be passed as a command line parameter, or maybe read from stdin.  I
looked at the code, but it was not clear to me how to do this.

This initialization could be quite advantageous when combined with custom
pruning procedures.  For example, I've been searching for hypergraphs with a
given monotone property P.  I've run genbg with the pruning up to a given
number e of edges.  However, to extend my search to e+1 edges, the program
will redo all of the previous work.  With the initialization feature,
geng/genbg could continue the search starting from the examples that were
found with e edges.

Thanks!
Stephen